January 2, 2011
“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else [Einstein].” It’s no surprise that the rules of success are firmly rooted in setting goals and carrying them out. The challenge with goal setting for most entrepreneurs is simple; it’s tough to address areas that need improvement. Generally the root of a head-in-the-sand reflex is a lack of information or misinformation. Now is the time to push ego aside, equipped yourself with information, inspiration and motivation so you can successfully meet your goals every single day and win!
Winning in entrepreneurship starts with setting, activating and completing your goals. It’s a three step system that turns a small business’ visions into reality. The New Year is upon us and with goals identified it’s time to make some serious changes over the next 363 days. According to one of America’s most renowned authors and motivational speakers, Zig Ziglar, he utilizes 7 steps for effective goal setting: “Write it down, put a date on it, list obstacles to overcome, identify collaborators, develop a plan of action, set time limits, and identify the benefits of reaching your goals.”
Never confuse activity with productivity. From personal experience, a winning mindset coupled with purposeful ‘action’ will gain ‘traction’ in any endeavor. Review your goals. Identify what small steps you can take each week to meet each goal. Preclude discouragement by setting one main goal per day for each week. It’s a measurable and realistic plan.
There is always the paper and pen method to keep track of daily goals, but why not go paperless. When you are on the go, the less you have to carry – the better. So, here are 10 digital applications [web-based and desktop tools] to manage productivity and monitor goal activation, one successful day at a time.
- The Rough Underbelly Create tasks and check them off, earn productivity points, set timers and review productivity graphs. The best part – it’s free.
- Toodledo.com Organize your tasks, sync with your mobile phone, set email and SMS reminders and much more.
- WorkHack.com Need to keep it simple? Start with this simple whiteboard online to-do list.
- Nozbe.com Web-based time- and project-management application for busy people and teams.
- TadaList.com A simple to-do list tool. Make lists for yourself or share them with others.
- RememberTheMilk.com Manage your tasks via your mobile phone, RSS feed, and send reminders across multiple platforms: email, SMS, and instant messenger (AIM, Gadu-Gadu, Google Talk, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Skype and Yahoo!).
- Netvibes.com Dashboard everything. Instantly create as many different dashboards [Including productivity tasks] as you’d like to, track all your latest interests.
- Mojonote.com Everything you need in one place. Store and manage your ideas and goals in one place.
- DoomiNow.com This nifty application stays out of your browser’s way. It has all the features you use, and none of the ones you don’t. Create, edit, set reminders, and keep archives of your old tasks.
- SmartSheet.com Track any kind of work for you or your team and keep on top of everything.
I actively utilize Nozbe #4 and #DoomiNow #9. Try these out; let me know which works best for your business.